Wednesday 18 April 2018

Final Game Sketch: Club Baths

Club Baths is a walking simulator set in a gay bathhouse. The title is a reference to one of the four gay bathhouses that were raided by the Toronto Metropolitan Police in 1981. When the game starts, you find out that you’re a researcher who’s doing work in the office and the owner calls you to propose that you take the night off and explore the bathhouse instead. At this point, any choices you make will still result in the owner directing you to where the keys to the door is located and it is up to you whether to take up his offer. There are certain things in the office that you can interact with, such as a Grecian statue, some documents lying on the floor and on the shelves and some books. Once you are ready, you can find the key and open the door to the bathhouse. As you walk through the hallways, you find other statues and things you can interact with scattered throughout the space. Most of the statues are snippets of poetry There isn’t a clear structure or linear narrative and you are free to wander and discover all the pieces of the puzzle on your own. Once you have interacted with most of the things in the space, you will be able to solve the last puzzle, which is big piece of marble that, once you’ve selected all the correct answers, opens up to a waterfall which leads you to a black room, and the music changes once you enter the room.





Creating this sketch definitely had many challenges, and to complete it in 12 weeks with other coursework going on did not help. However, with such a tight deadline, I was able to make quick decisions that I otherwise would have spent a long time debating on. Like in my first blog post where I documented the first iteration of my game sketch, the idea started off similar to what I ended up with. The first iteration was a gay cruising simulator set in a forest with a much more ambitious scope: sex scene animations, combat and a linear narrative structure that would have required more attention to detail in terms of writing. I wanted to approach game design from a queer theory background. I asked myself, “How could I queer game design without placing all of the queerness in its content, but also in the design of the narrative and gameplay?” This means how to implement non-linearity, repetition and failure, non-language communication and interaction, anti hierarchical, anti productivity (eg: goals, or beginning middle end) in the mechanics of the game. I realized quickly that this game, even as a sketch, would take more than 12 weeks to complete and I scrapped the idea for something I was much more interested in pursuing, designing a architecturally-led game space.

I started off with modelling the space with the CSG plugin tool, SabreCSG.

From here I added a texture to start getting a sense of how the space is going to feel.


Immediately after this I started to play with lighting.




From here I started to drop placeholder objects in to experiment with how the dialogue system would work in this space. For my dialogue solution, I used Yarn. Yarn is a Twine-like plugin for Unity that is much more lightweight and has a lot of possibilities for customization.




After figuring out the basic experience or structure of my game sketch, I had a few playtesters and got some important feedback to what more can I implement. I went back to the drawing boards to refine my idea.



Afterwards, I started to fine-tune my player character and who he was in order to make the narrative and the experience of the space logical. One way to mitigate around my problem that there were no human bodies the player can interact with in the space was to create peep holes or glory holes for the player to discover new encounters. In real life, the playfulness of bathhouses are of course, the people you encounter and the interactions you have with them. This play is highly driven by the space of the bathhouse. Bathhouses are designed like a funhouse, the way the hallways are organized like a maze, the endless rooms, the corners, the lighting all facilitate this type of queer play that allows the player to never feel like they’re ever in the same space. The space is simple, but has enough variation for surprises and intrigue. Furthermore, after understanding my player as a voyeur of the space instead of an active participant, I started placing peep holes around to promote the idea of voyeurism as a gameplay experience.

The finish the game, I refined my writing, dressed the space up more, and used level design practices such as placing valves and doors to slow down the experience of the game and to force the player discover the space in its totality and its nuances. Although I wasn’t particularly successful in queering gameplay or narrative in video games and instead used many traditional and popular game design elements, I still think I was successful in creating a space that was queer in its design and not just in its usage. What i mean by this is that the design of the space facilitated discovery and play in a way that wasn’t about hierarchy, linearity, goals and productivity.  Working on this game sketch also opened up a lot of interesting threads that I would love to further develop such as how to now queer dialogue design, the idea of voyeurism and restricted agency and mechanics that reflect ideas of queer failure and non-linear temporalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Explorations in Level Design Part 4

Final Level Design Walkthrough In my final level design exploration, I designed a level that was inspired by the the Last of Us with so...